Creative Military

The Gauntlet

We are the Gods and Devils of ourselves.
Weaving, ad perpetuum, our own heavens,
Our own hells.

We are the Walkers on the razor’s edge of life,
Through the provinces and processes
Of death itself.

We are the Knowers — beyond the frailties of faith, and doubt —
That we all will die, are dying,
Have died.

We are the Be-ers, stacking our experiences
Tightly between the bookends of
Shit and shine.

Punctuating the best of these moments, and the worst,
Is the solidarity of Service,
Survival, and Superiority.

Fair winds, godspeed, and ’til… wherever the fuck it is we’re supposed to be meeting.

Long ago my heart joined the Thousand,
For many of my friends have stopped running.

(This year’s been the hardest in several years. Dunno why.)

“Theo Dyssean” is an internationally unknown expert in asking questions, finding answers, not getting caught, and not getting killed [and/or eaten by bears]. He enjoys moonlit runs down dark alleyways, and romantic evenings working through an interpreter who speaks less of the target language than he does. His hobbies include being in the wrong place at the wrong time, knowing where the exits are, being the fastest runner in the room, borrowing bikes, and sleeping in HVAC ducts. His religious and political views tend to orbit dominantly around Bobby Finstock’s Three Rules.

homanj1
homanj1

Thanks Theo. A small percentage know the actual difference between shit and shinola. I’m extremely fortunate to have known many in my lifetime that have figured it out. Each one has enriched me in ways they may not even know. Thinking of several today as I read McRaven’s new book.

TexJ3
TexJ3

My heart goes out to you.
Your words are powerful and reverberate across the land. Their meaning hits home for so many. You are a light though you survive in darkness.

I went looking for this yesterday. And Afterglow. Couldn’t find them. Thank you for posting this… Somehow it has become part of *my* tradition.

And I like the cherry blossoms. Still breathtaking in their short-lived fragility, even surrounded by darkness.

…..mmm, especially surrounded by darkness….

Joni Smith
Joni Smith

Grief has no timeline nor can it be measured. No explanation it just is. My heart goes out to you and all those who feel the hard grief of brothers and sisters who gave their life in service to others. No long goodbyes just gone they are. Physically not here, but emotionally holding places in our hearts and minds. May you find some peace and solace in your heart as we take the day to honor those who are here but not.

Joni Smith
Joni Smith
Reply to  Theo Dyssean

It’s okay to be neck deep in strife. It’s part of the process of grief. Sometimes it’s just what it needs to be.

clluelo
clluelo
Reply to  Theo Dyssean

I hope you one day decide you have done enough

rynosbucket
rynosbucket

Word.

clluelo
clluelo

The designated day of mourning doesn’t get easier . Every year we have to add to the list of those we cry and raise our glasses for. My heart goes out to you Theo and to those on your list

“(This year’s been the hardest in several years. Dunno why.)”, I’m sorry Theo that it’s been such a hard year. I don’t think this all gets easier as we get older but it does get better. Our human nature allows us to set our grief aside in order to live, really and truly live, but from time to time the pain, that fucking profound internal pain overwhelms us and our day to day existence just becomes routine one step in front of the other. But then we start to live again. Love to you Theo.

Susan Hannigan
Susan Hannigan

I’m sorry this year’s been so hard, Ody. Grief has no expiry date but the pain can dull with time.

Hope you can feel how many people here love you. You’ve given so much to us; let us give some to you <3

Reply to  guest

Nice yo see you.

Reply to  Mic-Mac

You too! I love you guys! Miss you all being in one place.

Privileged to see this Theo. Thanks for sharing with us.

geo
geo

Splendid work I say: Burying heroes:
“We are the Be-ers, stacking our experiences
Tightly between the bookends of