The Pact of the Twelve

Flank to flank they lie none the older

no memory for those felled here

It was certain that hell had flamed over

that brothers had shackled their fear

“We’ll not beg for mercy or quarter

We’ll compromise all we hold dear

We’ll go though we’re husbands and fathers

with eyes that relinquish no tear”

By brawn of their backs and their druther

And resolve to die by the here

“We’ll die by the now — no surrender!”

and charged they as Reaper drew near

Through lopsided slaughter they bore it

thirst quenched but by sweat from their brow

For they twelve in unison swore it

to die by the here and the now

By Almighty God and with honor,

geo sends

Not sure if I see waste, sadness, loss – or honor, loyalty, and bravery. It strikes me both ways. Very conflicting emotionally.

clluelo
clluelo
Reply to  Mason

Same ,

homanj1
homanj1
Reply to  clluelo

I see it both ways, but my bottom line is it depends on if you are on the side of the 12 or on the side of the Reaper…

Reply to  Mason

Mason,

I quoted a few lines to George’s piece… but seeing that you and others are conflicted, I’m posting up the entire quotation by Jerry Pournelle.

“…To stand on the firing parapet and expose yourself to danger; to stand and fight a thousand miles from home when you’re all alone and outnumbered and probably beaten; to spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary…”

-YP-

Reply to  yankeepapausmc

That’s thing YP – they stood, because it needed to be done. Was it a waste, will it be forgotten, did it really matter? Even taking all those things into consideration, a part of me reveres them. I fear that means I am entranced with death, or hopelessness? Not sure, fought a fight like that once for my daughter. Gave everything, in the end it didn’t matter – and yet, I can only be envious of their sacrifice. I admire those who will stand, against egregious odds, in a cause of righteousness (or so they may believe), even if the… Read more »

Reply to  Mason

Mason, The surviving Spartans who stood over the body of Leonidas, their king. Had they yielded up his body, they would have been allowed to leave. Their cultural upbringing and their soldiers’ honor forbade it. Had the Persians taken Leonidas’ body in such a manner and allowed the survivors to leave… the damage would have been hard to calculate. The whole point of the Spartans not only being the rear guard to the larger Greek force heading back to Corinth…but dying to the last man… was to demonstrate to those Greek city states that had not “Meadized” that the Spartans… Read more »

Reply to  yankeepapausmc

Thank you. You are correct, if they had not stood, history would have changed.

Reply to  yankeepapausmc

“…could not be defeated… merely killed.” Ah, yes; there is a difference, isn’t there, YP?

Carol Lynne Luelo
Carol Lynne Luelo
Reply to  Mason

I feel you Mason. As honourable as it is ,I wonder if live to fight another day a better choice . The spirit and life force of the King left his body and they are sacrificing for a container not the king.
While I have respect for the resolve and honour I am conflicted

yankeepapausmc

Clluelo, All through Western European/American history, right up to the end of the 19th Century men in Western armies have died to keep “The Colors” (National and regimental flags) in their hands. Many Civil War battles… one color bearer after another shot down and another took his place. Men who were of no mind to perish in “Advancing the Colors…” often became the first to risk their lives when the Colors in danger of falling into enemy hands. A disgrace to allow the Colors to fall into enemy hands…excusable only by there being no survivors. In extremis, Colors should be… Read more »

Reply to  yankeepapausmc

Outstanding, YP.

Reply to  geo

George,

“A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.”
-Napoleon Bonaparte-

Well, true in his time. In our time it is only the immature and the self-aggrandizing who stick their neck out recklessly for such. Seasoned veterans are a bit more “parsimonious” with their life and limbs…

-YP-

Reply to  geo

Spot on, Geo.

Reply to  yankeepapausmc

Wonderful, YP. Thank you.

Reply to  geo

Good to know. I still ponder on it.

George,

“…to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary…” -Jerry Pournelle-

-Yankee Papa-

Reply to  geo

George,

My Christmas wish list re Freq. See who has liked replies… ability to easily post photos. Also… for some reason, 80% of Freq postings go to my junk file. I keep labeling “not junk” which transfers to “in box”… but next time same thing from same source keeps happening.

I know just enough about computers not to put White-Out on the screen. Fellow who knows more than I do says something at Freq end apparently triggering since everything from every other source when marked “not junk” stops appearing in junk file.

-YP-

Reply to  yankeepapausmc

Yes, yes, yes, YP! See who has liked replies and ability to post photos. Also, I used to an email when someone “liked” my comment but I don’t anymore. I’m not sure that I always get an email when someone replies to one of my comments either.

susanh
susanh
Reply to  geo

Geo, log into your WordPress account and adjust your notifications. I have emailed you a screenshot. Hope it helps. Just be aware I am not what one would call a tech genius 🙂

Wow, geo, that is one hell of a gut-wrenching poem that reflects the reality of what only some can truly articulate to others. I feel so many feelings that like a sap of a woman I just want to cry.

shooten1st
shooten1st

Powerful Geo. Any context to the picture? I’m guessing WWI.

Reply to  geo

George,

For those who know little about the wars between Indian tribes on the Plains I suggest, “Changing Military Patterns of the Great Plains Indians” by Frank Raymond Secoy. (University of Nebraska Press 1953, republished 1992)

-YP-

susanh
susanh
Reply to  yankeepapausmc

Thank you for the recommendation. Not surprisingly, my local library doesn’t have it. Darn.

Reply to  susanh

Susan,

Amazon.com (U.S.) has used copy for $ 3.95.

-YP-

Reply to  yankeepapausmc

Thanks, YP!

Reply to  yankeepapausmc

YP, have come across a lot of hostility between Native American tribes in my studies. The popular stereotype of the peace loving, in harmony with nature communities is quite skewed compared to the reality. Savage battles, where entire tribes where almost decimated as the males where killed and the children/women were abducted.

Reply to  Mason

Mason,

After the battle of the Little Big Horn the Sioux “bomb-shelled” to avoid being a mass target for the Army. One of the larger groups attacked another tribe’s village a couple of days to the West. Even at the peak of their struggle for survival against white expansion… they couldn’t let go of warring on other tribes.

-YP-

Reply to  geo

George,

The Sioux were indeed robbed of the Black Hills by a cynical U.S. government. It should be remembered that a couple of generations before, the Sioux acquired their “sacred” Black Hills by driving other tribes out…leaving a great many members of those tribes dead.

As historian General S.L.A. Marshall noted… “For all the many injustices and wrongs done to the Plains Indians… no one can accuse the Americans of making the Sioux warlike…”

Respect,

-YP-

Reply to  yankeepapausmc

Very true, YP. Thank you. Love the quote from General Marshall.

Reply to  geo

Awesome. Thanks, Geo.

Susan Hannigan

Wow. Very powerful, Geo. Thank you.

Reply to  geo

Cheers and beers back to you, my friend.

Enough words to give power to the imagination. Few enough to keep it from being diluted. Quite a picture…!

Reply to  geo

😊

rynosbucket
rynosbucket

Wow!! That moved my emotions all around the room. Very Good, Geo.

Luke Ryan

I realized I hadn’t commented on this yet. Very powerful.

zdac01
zdac01

I’m so glad I found this George. I’ll be soaking it in for a while.