Podcast Videos

Ranger Candy Running Show/Podcast Episode #001

Audio only:

Welcome to my weekly vlog/show on my journey to running my first ultra marathon and beyond. As a Special Operations Veteran, (3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment) I’ve been searching for a big goal to aim for. This is the start of my journey!

This week I got 48.6 miles and froze my butt off. Rhode Island is getting crushed by winter storms and running is very interesting on frozen trails.

Make sure you subscribe to my channel and like the video!

Theo Dyssean

First off, when you aren’t sporting your creep-stache you are one baby-faced mofo. We get shitty wet winters here. And they’re pretty long. When I am running in the snow — when I *have* to run in the snow? — I slap on some Yak Trax. Been super fucking great. Aside from the collection of operational Converses I own, I have two pairs of Danner boots. A 20 year-old pair of Gore-Tex Go Devil boots and a pair of Tachyons. Both work fine with the Yak Trax, but the Tachyons are about 35 pounds lighter than the winter mountain boots.… Read more »

Reply to  Theo Dyssean

Gaiters, man I hate putting them on, but they make a pair of regular running shoes snow proof.

Theo Dyssean

Nice! We’ll have to compare ponytails at some point.

I had a bad experience with tequila once, but I still drink the shit…

Love these Wayne. Keep it up. I feel an endurance nerd connection now.

Theo Dyssean

Wayne, I think you mentioned in the Discord about you setting time and just running to see where you ended up. I have this thing where I don’t set either… I just run. On particularly masochistic nights (I rarely run in the daylight), I’d be 3 hours from home when I “came to”… But in my defence, if I’m running along the coast there is never a shortage of fucking amazing sky to look at over the Sea of Japan. I’d head straight out to the coast (about 10 miles from my old place), then turn north and just watch… Read more »

TheFreq
Reply to  Theo Dyssean

That’s super legit! Goals are awesome to have, but sometimes you just have to enjoy what you are doing. I love discovering the area I am in, on my feet. I always take mental note of cool things I see and bring the wife and kid there later.

There should be a more of a push to get people to just go out and enjoy stuff; no schedule, no goal, nothing just enjoy the moment.

Theo Dyssean
Reply to  TheFreq

110% percent agree on all. Foot travel is not a regular thing for most people. And solidifying your mental map through a nice walk or run is just a slowly dying past time. (Or maybe not.)

I definitely run because I like to run. Sometimes I have to run, so liking to do it helps…

Theo Dyssean

Oh shit. Also… The Mount Fuji Marathon. Last weekend of July every year. Did it in 2007 (20k some odd participants, I was one of six foreigners). It’s technically a half, but after the first click, the elevation is literally exponential for the next 20 clicks. LET’S DO IT!!!

Temp was 97*F at the starting line, 23*F at the peak. And you had to carry your fucking load that whole way. Last 5 km there are zero aid stations. #FujiFreq #EndoFreq

(As an aside, I took my Judo black belt test the very next day.)

TheFreq
Reply to  Theo Dyssean

Dude…that run sounds so awesome…

Theo Dyssean
Reply to  TheFreq

Dude. It was a game changer for how I perceived how/why I run. But the scenery itself has gotta be one of the best long run routes I’ve ever heard of.

First few miles are in a town, but you hit the woodline… and don’t leave it until the you hit the timberline.

Reply to  Theo Dyssean

I am still in the time/distance, better than I was last year mode Theo – but I do love the adventure and absorb my surroundings when I race. I cannot see myself ever being static, I would get depressed or go nuts.

Theo Dyssean
Reply to  Mason

I’m like the human version of a Belgian Malinois with both ADHD and OCD. There are few things in life more fulfilling for me than having to problem solve or calculate while I’m taxing myself physically. That’s why I love my personal parkour, and martial arts.

Start the club man, we can be the inaugural members.

You guys remind me why distance running is fun. Not the gear or the aches, but the beauty of being outside, the paradoxical satisfaction of getting lost inside your head, and the testing boundaries to see what your body can do. (Not at the scale of the “Endurance Nerds,” but same principles apply.)

More please. 🙂