Animals and Angels

Rabid animals we
Sunk to the levels of our ancestors
As will our children sink.

We rage at the others
Frantically biting at their necks
Caged only by our primal bloodlust.

Clawing in the dark
Dependent on whatever strength we muster
To power over others, to push them into oblivion.

~ ~ ~ ~

Brooding angels we
Rising to the level of our ancestors
As will our children rise.

We carry the others
Putting pressure on their precious necks
Freed by our relentless pursuits.

Shining the small light
Dependent on the angels to our flanks
To power over darkness, and push it back for just another minute.

~ ~ ~ ~

All within a single heart.

Over my head Luke, but I think I just read an incredible poem regarding the struggle between light and dark within all of us. Bravo.

Reply to  Luke Ryan

This reminds me of a poem Anne Bradstreet wrote in the mid-1600s, Flesh and Spirit. My classmates raked her across the coals for writing about a sanctimonious woman so judgmental about her “sister”… but my interpretation was that both sides of the argument represented the sincere internal struggle to become the better person she wanted to be, rather than caving in to weakness when life is sometimes (often) hard. It was a surprisingly honest look inward at a time when it would seem better to pretend to already be perfect.

shooten1st
shooten1st
Reply to  Luke Ryan

That’s excellent Luke. I’ve never read it before. I think it’s every decision we make in each moment that makes us good, evil, kind, indifferent, or good. Some are better at than others.

texj3
texj3

Luke,

Such perfect artwork to go along with such a deep poem.

Truly, in that one heartbeat to the next we have the choice to decide don’t we? Freewill…a blessing and a curse for there is no one really to blame for our own decisions. Our associations, those may not always be our own, but our freewill…for we serve a God that choose not to want robots. On/off. Thump.

Grace and mercy.

For those beats that require a flashlight in the dark.

Blessings,

TexJ3

susanb01
Reply to  texj3

Like and agree, T3. You have your own way with words.

Curiously Luke, in a recent book I read, if the author were to condense his meaning into a few paragraphs your poem would perfectly express his themes; what is mankind, humans capable of doing to survive? I could be totally off on this, it has been a long time since I have dissected poetry and interpreted the authors meaning. But, I liked it.

Reply to  Luke Ryan

Book is Love Thy Neighbor by Peter Maass, Journalist with Washington Post, war correspondent in Bosnia from 1991 – late 93 or 94.

George E. Hand IV

You’ve got mad prose skills, dawg…
geo

susanb01

The power and consequences of choice captured uniquely. Thoroughly enjoyed it, Luke. You have a talent for poetic imagery.

I like that you sourced Solzhenitsyn in your comments. He, along with Tolstoy and Dostoevsky have informed a lot of my thinking over the years. They certainly lived the darkness that could be found in the human soul.

susanb01
Reply to  Luke Ryan

W & P is a slog but worth it once you get through it. lol The Gulag was a hard read just for man’s inhumanity to man. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich might be a shorter read for you than Gulag but just as meaty. There are so many great books out there. You will need another few lifetimes to read them all. lol