Hills to take

Remember the glory days? The days when there were hills to take and walls to climb?
Remember when you had grit on your breath and purpose on your mind?
Remember it all?

You’re not there.
You’re here.

Remember when you pushed yourself to the limits of your potential?
Remember when you pushed yourself to the limits of your life?
Remember it all?

You’re not there.
You’re here.

Remember–
I do remember. I remember the things behind.
But what of the things ahead? Will there be any hills to take or walls to climb?

But a man never climbed a hill while he was busy looking back at the last one.

yankeepapausmc
yankeepapausmc

Master Luke, When I was 27 to almost 29… I blundered into a situation that wound up being the most impressive and meaningful of my life. It happened when I was “…where the stars were strange…” But one day I flew home… and no matter how good I might have it… or how lucky I was… nothing came close to measuring up to where I’d been and what I’d been given the opportunity to do. Bothered me for a time and I wasn’t even aware of it…until… I’d been home about a year when an Australian friend of mine from… Read more »

Reply to  yankeepapausmc

And so many of us appreciate that you chose that path, that you stuck around to pass on your words of wisdom. <3

And sense of humor. 😉

susanb01
Reply to  yankeepapausmc

It’s nice to look back on our past.experiences from this end of life. Lots of interesting ones, some sad ones, some joyous ones, and not too many regrets. I don’t think you’ve missed much in your lifetime, YP. That’s what comes through in your reminiscences, at any rate.

yankeepapausmc
yankeepapausmc
Reply to  susanb01

Susan, I was not Audie Murphy (nor even Jack Murphy). I was simply somebody who got to go many interesting places and meet some truly interesting people and witness some interesting events. I was observant, have a good memory… and though anything more technical than a bayonet or a garrote is beyond me… when it comes to writing I sometimes have a happy turn of phrase. Most importantly… I have people willing to read my rantings. As Luke knows… with most real writers… it’s an addiction. True writers… various outlets… books, plays, articles, advertising copy, matchbook covers (most common written… Read more »

susanjh01
susanjh01
Reply to  yankeepapausmc

YP, these are some of your most eloquent words. Thank you.

YP you are such an interesting man. Your years in Africa and the Rhodesian Bush Wars. A historian, a bit of a comic at times. A man who has seen much. I hope you know how much so many of us love your writing and admire you.

Luke, you are a wise man. Have you chosen your next hill or mountain? Cheers

susanb01

Without challenges or goals, we wither and die. And your poetry shows that you are readily seeking your next one. I enjoyed it, Luke. Can you imagine how empty lives would be when they are never challenged? Never stretched?

susanjh01
susanjh01

Thank you, Luke. Definitely words to get us thinking.